Data Protection Statement
DATA PROTECTION STATEMENT
Last Updated: on May 24th 2018
The following data protection statement, in its current version, is applicable for the Hotel Valbella Inn (hereafter referred to as “Hotel”, “we” or “us”). We value your business and above all, we value your loyalty and we strive to deliver our products and services with the highest of standards.
We are aware that privacy is an important issue. Therefore, we have developed this data protection statement to outline our practices regarding the personal information we collect from you, or about you on this Website, through verbal or written communication with us, when you visit our hotel, or from other sources. This statement describes the general practices that apply to our Hotel as a business.
Through the use of any of our products or services and by agreeing to this statement, for example, in the context of registering for any of our products or services, you understand and acknowledge that we will collect and use personal information as outlined in this statement.
You have the following rights to protect the personal information we collect about you:
Right to Access Information
You have the right to ask us to confirm whether we are processing your personal information. If this is the case, you have the right to access information regarding your personal data, as well as other information, such as how the data will be processed, who has access to this data and how long this data will be stored, more specifically, the criteria for determining the length of data storage.
Right to Amend or Correct Information
You have the right to request for the immediate correction of false information. With due regard to the purpose of the data collection, you have the right to request an update or correction of incomplete data.
Right to Delete Information
You have the right to request that we delete your personal information in certain circumstances, as long as the processing of data is not required for our legitimate business or its deletion is unlawful. This is the case where, for example, your personal information is no longer required for its original purpose, you have withdrawn your consent to collect personal data or your personal information has been unlawfully processed.
Right to Restrict Processing
You have the right to request that we limit the processing of your personal information, if you believe, for example, that your information is incorrect for the length of time needed to verify the accuracy of the requester’s information.
Right to Data Portability
You have the right to receive your personal data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format.
Right to Object to Processing
You have the right to object, at any time for reasons that have risen from extenuating circumstances, to the processing of certain personal data concerning your rights and freedoms.
You have the right to object to the processing of your personal information when your data is processed for direct marketing purposes; this includes any profiling of data that is related to direct marketing.
Right to Withdraw Consent
You have the right to withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal information at any time, with effect for the future. The withdrawal of your consent shall not affect the lawful processing of your data for the time before its withdrawal.
Furthermore, you can file a complaint to a Privacy Protection Regulatory Board (in Switzerland: Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner, EDÖB) if you believe the processing of your personal data is not in accordance with the privacy protection laws.
1. Personal Information We Collect
At every touch point and guest interaction and in carrying out every aspect of our business we collect personal information related to your registration/check-in at our Hotel, specifically such information as may be required by local laws. This personal information may include:
- your contact information
- your reservation, stay or visit to our hotel
- the purchase and receipt of products or services
- participation in a membership or loyalty program
- participation in a contest, sweepstakes or marketing program (even if you are not a guest staying at our hotel)
- personal data such as nationality, passport number and date and place of issue
- dates of travel
- payment card number and other card information such as authentication information and other billing and account details associated with mobile billing
- guest preferences
- marketing and communication preferences
- information about vehicles you may bring onto our property
- information about hotel packages booked
- groups with which you are affiliated with for stays at hotels
- other types of information you choose to provide us with that we may obtain about you
Furthermore, we have the right to ask for detailed information about joint travellers, including their names and date of birth. Additionally, we may collect information related to conversations, including recorded customer service calls with hotel staff for quality assurance and training purposes, and communications such as messages in emails or apps.
In addition, we may collect other personal information in certain cases, such as:
- On-Property Data Collection: We use closed-circuit television and other technologies for the security of our Hotel that may collect and record images of guests and visitors in public areas. Furthermore, we may also collect information in connection with on-property services, such as spas and other activities, child care services, as well as the rental of additional equipment.
- Event Profiles: If you plan an event with us, we record detailed information regarding the meeting and event specification, the date of the event, the number of guests, details of the guest rooms, and for corporate events, in certain cases, we collect information about your organization (name, annual budget, and number of sponsored events per year). We also record information about the guests that are a part of your group or event. If you visit us as part of a group or in attendance at an event, we may have personal information about you provided to us by the group. We may use this information to contact you for marketing purposes, unless otherwise communicated through your preferences. If you visit us as part of an event, we may share personal information about you with the event planners, as permitted by law. If you are an event planner we may also share information about your event with third-party service providers who may market event services to you as permitted by law.
- Social Media: If you choose to participate in hotel-sponsored social media activities or promotions, we may collect certain information regarding your social media account consistent with your settings within the social media service, such as location, check-ins, activities, interests, photos, status updates and friend list. We may also allow you to enter into contests to provide photos, such as of your stay with us, which you may share with your connections on social media for votes, shared offers or other promotions.
Forward-to-a-Friend: From time to time, we may offer a feature that allows you to send an electronic postcard or otherwise share a message with a friend via the Internet or through a mobile device. If you choose to use this feature, along with the text of any message, we ask you for the recipient’s name and email address. By using this feature you confirm that you are permitted to use, or as the case may be, provide us with the recipient’s name and email address for this purpose.
2. Personal Information Collected from Third Parties
We may also collect information about you from third parties, for example from the booking Website, your credit card service, your booking agent and other partners, from your social media services consistent with your settings on such services, and from other third-party sources that are lawfully entitled to share your data with us. We use and share this information (and may append this information to the other information we have on file for you) for the purposes described in this statement.
Furthermore, we gather business addresses from service providers and process the IP-addresses of a target region through Polygon campaigns (Aymo mobile targeting).
3. Use of Personal Information Collected About You
We use your personal information in a number of ways, including to provide and personalise the services you request and expect from our Hotel, to offer you an exceptional guest experience, in-room and throughout our property, to conduct direct marketing and sales promotions and if necessary, in order to assert our rights. You will find more detailed information as to the use of your data in the following points:
- Service Administration: We use your personal information to administer programs in which you participate, including providing you with access to your account information, such as offers for which you are eligible; to fulfil services that are part of such a program; to facilitate direct communication between you and the hotel.
- Meeting and Event Planning: We may use your personal information to provide you with information about meeting and event planning.
- Marketing and Communications: Where permitted we may use your personal information to provide or offer you newsletters, promotions and featured specials, as well as other marketing messages in accordance with any communications preferences you have expressed. We use your information to send you reservation confirmations, marketing messages and to conduct surveys, sweepstakes prize draws, and other contests. We may provide these communications via email, postal mail, online advertising, social media, push notifications, in-app messaging and other means (including on-property messaging, such as your in-room television). If you choose to mention and/or share/like our Hotel, we may comment on user-generated content (such as photos) and may use this information for our own social media wall, which is integrated into our Website. In this case we will obtain your consent prior to using this information. We may also use your personal information for the purpose of displaying advertising on our Website and apps.
Service Improvements: We many use your personal information to improve our Hotel’s services to ensure that our Website, products and services are of interest to you. We also use your personal information to provide you with the expected level of hospitality, in-room and throughout our Hotel. This may include providing you with the ability to control your in-room technology through our Website or apps on your personal devices to improve the content.
4. Personal Information We Share
In order to offer you the expected level of hospitality and to provide you with the best level of service, we may share your personal information among our service providers, and other third parties as set forth in detail below:
- On-Property Services: We have the right to share personal information with third-party providers of on-property services such as spa treatments, golf, or dinging experiences.
- External Service Providers: We rely on third parties to provide services and products on our behalf and may share your personal information with them as appropriate. Generally, our service providers are contractually obligated to protect your personal information and may not otherwise use or share your personal information, unless otherwise instructed by the law. However, our fraud detection service providers may use, but not share, your personal information for fraud detection purposes. We may use service providers to communicate news and deliver promotional and transactional materials to you on our behalf, including personalised online and mobile advertising in accordance with your preferences and applicable law. Please see our Cookies Statement for more information. Our Hotel will only work with parties that offer an option to opt-out of such advertising.
- Group Events or Meetings: If you visit our Hotel as part of a group event or meeting, information collected for meeting and event planning may be shared with the organisers of those meetings and events, and where appropriate, guests who organise or participate in the meeting or event.
- Business Partners: We may partner with other companies to provide you with products, services, or offers based on your experiences at our Hotel and may share your information with our business partners accordingly. For example, we may help to arrange bus transfers and other services from our business partners, and share personal information with our business partners in order to provide those services.
- Co-Sponsors of Promotions: We co-sponsor promotions, sweepstakes, prize draws, competitions or contests with other companies, and we provide prizes for sweepstakes and contests sponsored by other companies. If you enter one of these sweepstakes or contests, your personal information may be shared with the third-party sponsor.
- Other: In addition, our Hotel may disclose personal information in order to: (i) comply with applicable laws, (ii) respond to governmental inquiries or requests from public authorities, (iii) comply with valid legal process, (iv) protect the rights, privacy, safety or property of our Hotel, Website visitors, guests, employees or the public, (v) allow us to pursue available compensation or limit damages that may be incurred, (vi) enforce our Website’s terms and conditions, and (vii) respond to an emergency appropriately.
5. Other Information / Cookies
When you visit and interact with the Website and apps of the Hotel Valbella Inn AG, we collect further information that does not directly identify how you use the site, such as a record of the site pages you visit, and the number of visits to our sites (“Other Information”). We use Other Information, as well as data received from third parties, to send you email, online (on our sites and other sites) and mobile advertisements.
Because Other Information does not personally identify you, such information may be disclosed for any purpose where permitted by law. In some circumstances, we may combine Other Information with personal information. If we do combine Other Information with personal information, the combined information will be treated by us as personal information in accordance with this Statement. We may use the information we have collected and aggregated, or anonymized personal information received from third parties, to understand more about our users (such as using aggregated information to calculate the percentage of our users who have a particular telephone area code). This includes demographic data, such as date of birth, gender and marital status, extrapolated commercial interests such as favourite products or hobbies, and other information we may collect from you or from third parties.
At this time, we do not respond to “Do Not Track” signals or other, similar mechanisms. Please consult our Cookies Statement for more information.
6. Sensitive Information
The term “sensitive information” refers to information related to your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, health, sex life, or sexual orientation, genetic information, criminal background, and any biometric data used for the purpose of unique identification. We do not collect sensitive information unless we are required to do so pursuant to applicable laws or regulations. We may use health data provided by you to serve you better and to meet your particular needs (such as allergies).
7. Personal Information from Children
We collect the following personal information from individuals under 18 years of age to process the Hotel booking: name, address and date of birth.
8. Mobile and location-based services
We provide a mobile app that can be downloaded to your smartphone or mobile device. This app serves a variety of functions that enhance the customer experience.
At our Hotel a “Virtual Concierge” app is made available, which may be preloaded onto a Hotel-owned device, or downloaded onto your web-enabled mobile device. For example, you can communicate directly with the hotel, order services from the hotel, such as room service, access our Website or third-party Websites, including local attractions and social media, as well as book a reservation. The Hotel will access and use your personal information (such as name, email address and other contact information provided by you) to provide you with Concierge service.
If you allow our mobile app to access your location information on your device, our mobile app may use your mobile devices GPS technology and other technology (such as wireless transmitters known as beacons) to provide you with information and offers based on the location of your device. We may use this information to enhance your on-property experience, such as by delivering push notifications and other content to your mobile device, sending you information and offers about products, services, or activities we believe may be of interest to you. You may prevent or limit collection of location information by changing the settings on your device.
Additionally, we may also communicate with you by means of third-party digital messaging apps. In this case, the privacy policies of those services apply.
9. Links to Third-Party Websites and Services
10. Protecting Personal Information
We cannot guarantee the confidentiality of your emails or any other data transmitted electronically over the Internet.
We take reasonable measures to: (i) protect personal information from unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction, and, (ii) keep personal information accurate and up-to-date. Additionally, our Hotel strives to require our affiliates and service providers, with whom we share personal information, to exercise reasonable efforts to maintain the confidentiality of your personal information. For online transactions, we use technological measures to protect the personal information you provide us with via our Website. Unfortunately, however, no security system or system of transmitting data over the Internet can be guaranteed to be completely secure.
For your own privacy protection, please do not send us payment card numbers or any other confidential personal information via email.
Our Hotel will not contact you by mobile/text messaging or by email to ask for your confidential personal information or payment card details. We will only ask for the payment card details by telephone when you book a reservation or promotional package.
11. Changing and Accessing Your Personal Information
You may exercise your right to access and change your personal information. To the extent required by applicable law, you may request that we inform you about your personal information and, where appropriate, request that we change or delete this personal information. We will make all required updates and changes within the time specified by applicable law, and when permitted by law, we may charge an appropriate fee to cover the costs of responding to the request. Such requests may be submitted in writing to: or to: Hotel Valbella Inn AG, Voa Selva 4, 7077 Valbella-Lenzerheide, CH. To protect your confidentiality, we can only respond to such requests to the email address that you have provided to us. Please remember that if you make such a request, we may not be able to provide you with the same quality and variety of services to which you are accustomed.
Additionally, in some circumstances based on applicable law, you may request that we cease sharing personal information about you with our business partners, or that our Hotel ceases using personal information about you, by contacting us using the email or mailing address above. We will strive to honour these requests in accordance with applicable law.
12. Retaining Personal Information
We store your personal information for the period of time necessary to fulfil the purposes outlined in this policy, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by applicable law.
13. Choices – Marketing Communications
If you have given us your contact information (mail address, email address or phone number), we may want to inform you about our products and services or invite you to events via email, online advertising, social media, telephone, text message (including SMS and MMS), push notifications, in-app alerts, postal mail and through other means (including on-property messaging, such as your in-room television).
If you prefer not to receive marketing emails from us, you may opt-out at any time by using the unsubscribe function in the email you receive from us. Opt-out requests can take up to ten business days to be effective.
You can control whether our mobile apps send you push notifications by changing your notification settings on your mobile device. If we send you in-app messages, we will ensure that the app service has installed an activation/deactivation setting. For more information about Cookies and interest-based advertising to learn about how to manage these technologies, please see our Cookies Statement.
14. Statement Modifications
We have the right to modify this Statement at any time. When we make significant changes to this Statement we will post a link to the revised Statement on the homepage of our site, and if you have registered for any of our products or services, we may also inform you through a communications channel that you have provided. You can find the date the Statement was last revised by looking at the top of the document. Any modifications to the Statement will become effective once the revised Statement has been posted on our Website. The use of our Website and any of our products and services, as well as providing us with your consent to the updated Statement following such changes, constitutes your acceptance of the revised Statement.
15. Credit Card Payment
You may make a payment on our Website using your credit card information. In order to process the transaction, your payment information is transferred through Saferpay by SIX.
Saferpay by SIX collects your payment information through the transaction, as well as information related to this transaction, such as information about the product/service, financial information, information related to any communication between you and Saferpay by SIX, service agent information, including details about payment method, as well as information about the type and location of the payment device. Saferpay by SIX uses your payment information for the purpose of processing the payment transaction, to perform a credit check, and for the maintenance and improvement of the payment service. Details about how Saferpay by SIX processes data and to what purpose can be found in the “Privacy Statement of SIX”: https://www.six-payment-services.com/en/services/legal/privacy-statement.html
A list of the businesses with which PayPal may share your personal information can be found here: https://www.paypal.com/at/webapps/mpp/ua/privacy-full?locale.x=de_AT#r6
You can find further details about Saferpay by SIX here: SIX Payment Services AG, Hardturmstrasse 201, 8005 Zürich, Switzerland.
16. Contact Us
If you have any questions about this Statement or how our Hotel processes your personal information, please contact us by email at or by postal mail to Hotel Valbella Inn AG, Voa Selva 4, 7077 Valbella-Lenzerheide, Switzerland. Direct your correspondence to the data protection agent: Mr. Christoph Theus.